Homemade Sticky Buns


Dough Recipe
(This is a basic dough recipe that we use for everything from calzones to sticky buns)

1 cup hot water
1.5 T sugar
2..25 t yeast
(I put all of this in one measuring cup and let sit)
3 cups of flour (maybe a bit more - start with 3 cups)
1/4 cup vegetable oil 

When the yeast bubbles in the measuring cup, I dump it into the kitchen aid with the flour and oil, and mix on low with the bread hook.   

Set aside in a covered bowl and let rise until double.

Roll out bread dough
top with melted butter (abt 1/4 of a cup)
cinnamon and brown sugar - lots of both

Swirl together
Roll into a log, 
slice into 12 pieces

Make the sauce:

Sauce Recipe

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
cook until melted and starting to caramelize
remove from  heat and add 1/4 cup Kings Syrup (a pancake syrup)
Or you can use corn syrup 

Pour the sauce into a 9x13 inch pan
place the rolls on top of the syrup
cover and let rise

Bake until the tops are brown - about 30-35 minutes.

I've made hundreds of these by now - and yet, I couldn't find one decent photo of a finished batch..  here's a selection of baked goods from 2013:

Pumpkin cookies, mini brownies, chocolate cherry bars, mini sticky buns & a full size pan of sticky buns for Dan & the boys.


A local sent this to me, telling me it is the recipe from Limbaugh's Bakery in Milton.
And then someone else said it absolutely is NOT their recipe.
I suspect both are correct - based purely on my own experiences baking.  How I make these has evolved over the years.  The amount of syrup varies.  I rarely measure anything, I make these without really thinking about it at all.  So I find it very likely that a bakery's recipe evolved and changed over time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment