Skip to main content

No Sew - Recovering the footstool

This embarrasment has sat in my kitchen for the last year.  Ok, maybe two.  I would often toss a throw blanket across it to hide the tear...  but that was as far as I got.

Why?  Because I was convinced there was some great, exciting, perfect new technique that I would want to try on it, and I didn't want to do something less than spectacular.  So instead I settled for embarrassing.  I know it makes no sense, but it's how I often work.  Or don't work.

Recently I bought the exact same color, same type, of fabric, planning to slipcover this until I found something more exciting to do with it.  (Because my dog sleeps on this, and I put my feet on it after coming out of the garden, fancy embroidery was not a good idea. Not that I DO  fancy embroidery, but I had ruled that one out anyway)

So today I finally pulled out the material, changed the thread on my sewing machine, and...  got sidetracked by cleaning out the craft closet. Then I walked past this and decided I should cut the extra material off the bottom before I covered it.

THEN I remembered the black spray paint I found when I cleaned out the cleaning cabinet today.

 Which reminded me of this fabric that was in my craft closet, meant for a tote bag and bible cover I never made.  And since I use a bible app on my phone these days, probably never would make.  I didn't sew a bit of this - not one thing.  Folded over edges, and a staple gun.  The bottom edge is the salvage.  Took me about 15 minutes, after the paint dried on the legs...  It is not perfect, it is not fancy, and it does not match the chair it sits in front of..  but I was planning to recover the chair anyway.  And this looks soooooo much better than the before!  :-)


One of my goals for 2013 is to complete 52 projects - mostly completing projects I already have started, and using up supplies in my craft closet.  I have a pinterest board where I am posing all of the completed projects, to keep track of my goal progress:


Popular posts from this blog

Replacing The Broken Glass on Our Patio Table -

We have horrible winds here.  One storm picked up our large patio table & smashed it sideways against the deck railing, shattering the glass top.
After looking at a couple of options, I bought a piece of plywood (they cut it to size for me even) and a remnant of linoleum from our local flooring store.
We should have sealed the plywood with an all weather paint first. 
Then we attached the linoleum with contact glue.  The entire project cost me about $35 and took minutes to complete. :-)

Homiletics Worksheet

One of my favorite seminars at BSF was on Homiletics.  I love the process of studying the bible through Homiletics.  Recently my friend Natalie taught our Sunday School class how to do homiletics, and again I found I really enjoyed the process, and I decided I wanted to use it more frequently.

There is a great "Crash Course In Homiletics" here -
Earlier this summer our Pastors wife suggested, in our Womens Sunday School Class, that we choose one epistle and read it every day, for a month.  I love this bible reading plan.  I have used many plans over the years, and have read the bible cover to cover a few times now, so the idea of really learning one epistle at a time felt like a good next step for me.
For the month of August, I am reading Colossians every day.  It is only 4 chapters, a quick, easy read every morning.  I decided the 4 chapters made it perfect to use homiletics for my weekly study, doing one chapter each week…

How to Make a Chalkboard Graphic

I'm going to assume you already have a basic knowledge of some sort of graphics program.  Gimp is free.  I use Paint Shop Pro - because I have used it for many years, and I lack the attention span (& budget!) to keep up with photoshop.  

First, The Background.
  Thank you google image search....

These sites also offer free downloads -
Next The Fonts:

This site has links to all of the fonts on the poster above (most of my favorites are on her list, so I didn't see any sense in replicating it. Plus, she did it better than I would have.)
I personally recommend going to Dafont and d…